Comments are usually moderated. However, I do not accept any legal responsibility for the content of any comment. If any comment seems submitted just to advertise a website it will not be published.

Friday 16 December 2022

WARRANTS OF DISCONNECTION//A VERY LATE P.S.


Having removed my finger from the magistracy`s pulse seven years ago I am now just an observer sometimes rather late in my observations.  Real time now is but a memory.  However a debate yesterday in the House of Commons on some magistrates` benches approach to dealing with energy companies` warrant applications set my mind back to my blog of 16th August 2013. 

Magistrates have it within their powers and indeed within their souls to investigate each and every application for disconnection.   The delays will infuriate legal advisors as those instigated by my actions certainly did but I persuaded like minded colleagues and eventually a protocol was agreed with the Deputy Justices Clerk.  I even still have the documents on file.  But and it`s a big "but", it is my concern that magistrates are now less willing or even unable to counter "orders from above". Their independence is now but a shadow of what it was when I was appointed.  I might remind JP readers of their oath:  I, _________ , do swear by Almighty God that I will well and truly serve our Sovereign King Charles the Third in the office of Justice of the Peace, and I will do right to all manner of people after the laws and usages of this realm, without fear or favour, affection or ill will.” However with many doctors prepared to ignore their Hippocratic Oath or similar undertaking I cannot be sure that magistrates will not free themselves from the words spoken on their appointment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment