Comments are usually moderated. However, I do not accept any legal responsibility for the content of any comment. If any comment seems submitted just to advertise a website it will not be published.

Monday 19 May 2014

SIR PAUL COLERIDGE


I don`t sit in “family”. I admire those who do. My knowledge and imagination tell me as much as I want to know about the dysfunctional lives so many people are enduring and the consequences for the children of those broken relationships. I try to live my own life by principles which do not have a religion as their base. So even although Sir Paul Coleridge, recently a High Court Judge, has made headlines based on Christian values with his views and actions of broken families, only to be castigated by the Lord Chief Justice he has my sympathies for what they are worth.

There is IMHO a forthcoming backlash to be expected from Christians of all denominations on the apparent inconsistencies applied to matters where there is an input from representatives of Muslims in this country. Three million Muslim citizens are regarded by many opinion formers as a “community”. Such a term implying a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common is surely misplaced in this context. For many years I was in business with a Moslem from East Africa. By his own words and actions he had as much in common with co-religionist immigrants from other parts of Africa or Pakistan as he had with native Americans. I doubt his opinions are uncommon.

As a descendant of immigrants to this country who arrived in the early years of the 19th century I am as aware as any that successful nations require occasional regeneration without the widespread use of a sonic screwdriver. But it will be a miscalculation of wide proportion if the ideals of those who worship under the auspices of the religious heritage which is the basis of this country`s legal institutions feel that their belief system is being ignored or replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment