- Between the ages of 18 and 70 years old
- Registered to vote on the government electoral register
- A registered citizen in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 5years since their thirteenth birthday
- A mentally disordered person, or,
- Disqualified from jury service for a particular reason
There were 407,913 criminal cases completed in magistrates' courts and 34,098 completed in the Crown Court in the third quarter of 2012. Even allowing for the time difference these figures show very clearly that we Justices of the Peace are more than competent at distinguishing the innocent wheat from the guilty chaff.